The multi-award winning Gas Fest is a unique ‘for industry, by industry’ platform that takes place at a time when the world is transitioning towards a carbon neutral future. Gas Fest 2019 will focus on the role of gas in decarbonising shipping.
Gas Fest 2019 Key Themes:
- Preparations and Planning for the IMO 2020 Sulphur Cap
- The Role for LNG as a Ship Fuel to 2050 and Beyond
- Sustainability and the Environment: Shifting Trends in the Financing of Shipping
- Reducing Energy Needs of Vessels – Taking a holistic approach
- Fuel Suitability for Deep-Sea Ocean Shipping – Comparison & Economics
- Biogas and Carbon-Neutral Gas Fuels
- Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Technology – Are We Delaying the Inevitable?
Wednesday 20th – Thursday 21st
In April 2018, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) member states adopted an initial climate change strategy, under which international shipping must reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50% by 2050 (compared to 2008 levels).
It is within this context that Gas Fest 2019 sets out to explore the role of gas in decarbonising shipping and identify concrete solutions and actions for how to get there. A lot has been achieved, but there is still potential for shaping a better future by utilising the commercial and environmental benefits that gas offers.
The objectives of the Gas Fest are to:
- Explore the driving forces and conditions influencing future marine fuel choices, including the broader impact of socio-political, regulatory and economic drivers.
- Provide a nuanced view on the potential for different gases in the marine fuel mix towards 2050.
- Cut through the complexity to provide stakeholders with a clear view on the opportunities in gas fuel solutions, enabling the co-creation of long-term strategies and actionable insights.
The Gas Fest is not another gas conference. It is uniquely designed to engage high-level leaders and influencers, across the gas as marine fuel industry, in framing the gas agenda. Through a carefully facilitated and collaborative process, participants will explore opportunities and challenges, identify solutions and shape the way forward on utilising the benefits of gas.
The desired outcomes of the Gas Fest are:
- For participants to achieve a deeper understanding of the role different gases can play as marine fuels – across the short, medium and long-term.
- To continue the development of specific ideas and initiatives for promoting and utilising different gases as a part of the solution for decarbonising shipping
- To continue the development of a roadmap for stakeholders (including charterers, ship owners, ship builders, equipment providers, insurers, port authorities, legislators, financiers among others) across the marine industry, to accelerate the implementation of sustainable gas-fuel solutions choices, globally.
Check out the testimonial videos from 2017
“I have been to many conferences, but this one was different,” said Rolf Stiefel, Vice President Sales and Marketing at Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd. “It was much more workshop based and very useful to hear different opinions.”
“It was great to be able to meet industry players at the C-suite level,” said Julien Bec, Vice President at GTT, explaining that the decision makers are not usually present at events like this. The discussions in small groups widened his views. “Normally at conferences like this, you see people looking at their phones all the time. Not here.”
Jan Tellkamp, Business Development Manager, Downstream LNG at DNV GL summarised many of the participant’s hopes: “I’d like to see this event create true momentum to overcome barriers.”